Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Enjoying the great outdoors of Kentucky

For those who really know me you are probably shocked to hear that I survived an entire week of camping, and I do mean camping in a tent.  I spent a week at girls camp as the assistant camp director.  I must say too that I did enjoy myself, it was a lot of work and included surviving on minimal sleep each night. 

We started our trip with a zipline tour in the Red River Gorge area it was pretty, and a lot of fun, and only a little scary on the first course.

It was so pretty at night to watch my favorite bug, and probably one of my most favorite things about living in Kentucky, which is the lightning bugs flying around and there were so many of them.  We had a snake right in our campsite, many girls had chigger bites, not ticks that I was aware of.  I didn't take any chances I came prepared with the bug spray that had the highest amount of deet I could find and I sprayed it on first thing in the morning, middle of the day, and early evening, and I did not have a bug bite at all or any ticks. 

The injuries below were handled with care from all the campers.  The one was an accident with a nail and the other was a snake bite.

We took a beautiful 5.5 mile hike to Natural Bridge, it was a lot of fun and I truly enjoyed my time with all the girls.   It was a wonderful experience, and know I can say I have camped in Kentucky something I swore I would never do.




 Don't you worry all this is makeup done by the wonderful Stake YW Pres. set up just to help the girls pass off their First Aid requirements.  These were the only two accidents I was able to get pictures of there was even more makeup work down on other girls too.


A few of the girls who, were brave enough to come up on the top of the bridge.

2 comments:

Bill and Joan said...

Yea, Lisa! I'm so glad you had a good experience at girls camp. Sorry about the snake bite girl. Hope the snake wasn't too poisonous. I knew you'd have fun with all those young women! I'm sure they loved having you there.

Brian and Amber said...

I am so proud of your camping skills!!! I've been on natural bridge! Isn't it a cool hike? I really liked it when I did it when I was 13 :) I love all your updates...we miss you!!