Monday, April 19, 2010

Tick, Tick

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Yes that is two ticks because we had two in our house! Sunday right before we were to leave for church Clay was combing Houston's hair, and I hear him yell for me with a panic. I come out to "I think Houston has a tick." Like I would know what a tick looks like, I've never seen one in my whole life, and neither had he.

Sure enough that creepy thing was a tick. Houston was very calm through our panic. Clay (thank goodness, he was home to find the bug, I hate creepy crawlies) used the tweezers and pulled it out, only after researching the best methods to remove a tick.

I went to do more research on lyme disease and issues caused by ticks. I then returned to pick it up with a paper towel and it was lost when the paper towel created a breeze. Oh no, panic set in again. We need to find that bug before it finds someone else to feed off of. Luckily I found it quickly. Then Clay decides to burn it and goes to pick it up and he loses it too. By this time we were defintely late for church, and we once again have a lose tick in the house. We look for a few minutes before the older boys and I decide to leave for church. We left Clay at home to find the tick,exam Houston closely, give him another bath and do more research on problems associated with ticks.

So that leads us to tick number two. Today, Brodie was home from school with a sore neck (he tried to take his dad down in basketball last night, Dad won).Everything was pretty calm this morning I had just put Houston and Eden on the bus, when Brodie comes downstairs and says I have a bump on my head in my hair. I just thought he was being a little paranoid knowing Houston had a tick the day before. I went to exam him a little closer only to find a tick moving his legs. So gross. Brodie, starts demanding that I remove it right that second. Luckily, the tweezers were still out. I filled a paper cup half way up with water (there was no way I was going to loose that bug). We tweezed it out and everything was much calmer than the day before. The bug went right down the toilet. We examed Brodie closely, then decided to give him the short haircut he has been wanting for a few weeks. It is now short enough that no bug is going to be able to hide from us in his hair now.

I knew moving here I would have to be careful and watch for ticks. I examined Caylor carefully after his camp out with the scouts. Cleaned out his backpack and gave everything a good shake down before we even got home. I didn't think too much about ticks when I took the kids for a walk around our neighborhood lake, I was more worried about chiggers (which were not a problem). I think that is were they could of come from or playing in one of there friends backyard that has more trees than ours. I didn't think much of the kids playing under the trees, but I guess it could have come from there too.

4 comments:

Arien said...

ewwwwww!!! I am so sorry. I would freak out. I feel like I haven't seen you forever!

Bill and Joan said...

Yuck! I got a tick in me after Bill came home from a camping trip. He brought the pest home and unpacked on the bed. Gross!! I hope you don't have any more problems with ticks.

Kris & Christina said...

Lisa,
You are so brave. I hope that one day I will be as brave as you when it comes to bugs, but I am not there yet. I know someone who on his mission he was bit by a tick and got Lyme's Disease but that is the only thing I know about tick bites. I think one bit Mom once.

Troy and Heather said...

I am so sorry. That does not sound fun. I have never had to deal with one, and I dread the day I do.