Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Holy Cow We Do Have Friendly Neighbors!

It only took me a year and a half to figure out how to get to know people in Kentucky. A dog is all you need. Other places I've lived all it took was children (which in Kentucky gets you rolled eyes, except for the rare, rare, occasion of an elderly couple that will come tell you how nice it is to see some people still value a large family). I've met more neighbors in the last three weeks than I did the prior year and a half combined. Go figure a dog was all I needed.

The neighbors, who used to walk by as fast as they could are now stopping to see our little puppy (still no comments about the children, other than are these all yours,with big eyes). It is great to finally get to know more neighbors.

I knew that people loved their dogs (any animal for that matter)here in Kentucky, and valued them as much as any human. A sick dog at home is a great excuse not to come to work, and don't ever doubt that here, or find that a little amuzing or your not very kind.

I guess I should have researched pets in Kentucy more. I must have skipped the pet section when I did my research on moving to Kentucky, because I thought that section was only for people with pets. To think if I had just got a dog sooner we would have met people a long time ago. I think Kentucky maybe the best place in this country to live for animals.

3 comments:

Megan said...

We will have to send our dogs there for vacation then...you have room for 2 labs?

Bill and Joan said...

Lucky you! You found the key to knowing your neighbors. That's amazing. Brian and Amber found that was true in Oregon, too. What's wrong with Utah? I guess we just value kids too much? Love ya! Mom

Troy and Heather said...

That is just crazy. Go figure. The only way our backyard neighbors in Utah would talk to us is when they wanted something, like to put up a fence or complaining about their basement flooding. Some people are just strange. All of our other neighbors in Utah were really greath though. All of neighbors here in Denver have been great so far as well even though they all have pets and we do not.